Tuesday, January 19, 2016

DOPEY 2016 Part 2 - Thurs, Jan 7, 2016 - the Pluto 5k





Thursday morning started with another early alarm.  This time it was for the first of the 4 races the 5k.  My plan for this morning was to take it easy and have fun.  I was planning to mostly walk the 5k with a couple of friends.  The 5k starts a little later than the next 3 races so I didn't have to get up as early this morning as I would the rest of the weekend.  Since I had to drive to the races, my goal was to be in the car close to the time the first buses would leave the resorts so I could minimize any traffic concerns.  So I set the alarm for 3:30am so I could leave around 4. 

The obligatory pre race mirror selfie. 

I always forget there is really no traffic for the 5k so I really could have slept in a little and left a few minutes later.  But I got to the staging area with plenty of time and managed to run into Jay on his way in.


I found the Mickey Milers and got ready for our team photo.  Since it was the kick off to the Dopey Challenge I thought this was appropriate.

The Mickey Milers ready for the 5k

Hanging out in Corral E ready to run (ok so walk) this 5k


Our plan for the 5k was to take it really easy and walk.  This turned out to be almost a necessity at the start of the race.  The course was very crowded at the beginning.  Yikes.  There were a bunch of people who were trying to run fast from the last corral including what looked like an entire tour group.  The photographers were not happy with them as they were trying to pass between the photographer and the characters making the line longer than it already was.  

The secondary goal was to stop for all the characters.  
Character Stop #1 Chip and Dale



As we came into the backstage area of EPCOT I had to stop and take a picture with the power substation.  Everyone takes selfies with substations right?  Just me again?  Ok, we'll call it an occupational hazard.   


They were doing a test on Test Track as we "ran" by.  It was really neat to see the car moving super slow.  


At around the 1.5 mile mark we finally entered the "onstage" portions of EPCOT in the World Showcase.  We enter next to the Mexico Pavilion.  When we first came in they were playing Let it Go.  I started having Flashbacks to the Frozen 5k at Princess and was really hoping we weren't getting a non-stop loop of Let it Go in 6 different languages.  Fortunately I only had to listen to about a minute of it before the song changed to something else.  (anything else)


The Illuminations Torches were lit which were just gorgeous.  



And it was still all decked out for Christmas despite the fact that it was January 7th.  



And of course one has to stop for Selfies with Spaceship Earth.

 Next up was Rafiki

And time for the Bongos

 

You need a little music in your life

And I had to stop at Snow White's Wishing Well to make a wish that I would finish this crazy Dopey Challenge.  


But the Bier cart in Germany was not open this early so no Beer or Pretzels for Jackie


Bolt was out in front of the American Adventure Pavilion, but switched to "unknown cat from Bolt" while we waited in line.  We later learned that the cat's name was Mittens but I couldn't have told you that until well after the fact.

The funnel cake cart was also closed, so no funnel cake for my husband.  ;) (But I did have to snap a picture because I like to tease him with them when I see them)

Next up was France and Marie the Cat.  Of course she had to take a quick break right as we got up there.  So we got a nice group photo first.




Hopefully this works.  If you want to see some high stepping up the bridge to the International Gateway and Supercalifragilicidexpiladicous signing check out this video.  I didn't quite realize Jackie was recording a video I thought she was taking a picture.  Yes I am crazy, it's okay.  

Next up was England and I tried to Phone Home, but I forgot my quarter in my other sparkle skirt.  


Finally we left the world showcase and stopped for a very cool picture in front of Spaceship Earth

We managed to just sneak into one last character photo before looping back round by Nemo and the front side of Spaceship earth and the finish line.  It was Lilo.  Stitch and Lilo switched out I think.  

We may have decided at this point to speed things up a little to make sure we finished on time.  Lilo was the last character stop and we were very close to the finish at this point.  Our last mile was definitely our fastest of the day.  


It was very cool to get our first medals from Mike and Michelle of the Mikey Miles Podcast




We finished our 5k in something like 1 hour and 16 minutes.  Fun was the key for the day.  :)  


Here is the 5k course via my Garmin.


After we had our medals and our snack boxes and bananas I found the line for Dopey.  I had time today and decided to wait for a picture with Dopey despite the hour line.  I knew I wouldn't have time the rest of the weekend for that line. 




(So worth the wait)



(And then I was able to jump over for a picture with Pluto too)



The 5k was so much fun.  3.1 miles down only 45.5 more to go.

I was one of the last people to leave the runners area on Thursday after the 5k.  I headed back to the resort to get a shower and then went over to the Magic Kingdom where I met Jackie.

It's fun to be on your own with and annual pass, and no fixed schedule for the day.  I was able to meet up with Jackie at the new Skipper's Canteen in Adventureland.  Apparently we weren't the only ones with this idea as we ran into lots of friends inside the Canteen.  

I tried the "A lot at Steak" Salad and the Punch line Punch.  


And we shared the Kungaloosh for Dessert.  


All 3 items were delish

We spent a little time after lunch enjoying the sit down and put your feet up rides around the Magic Kingdom (AKA The People Mover and the WDW Railroad) taking in the sights and just relaxing before deciding to meet some friends at the new Jock Lindsey bar in Disney Springs.  The bar is small on the inside but so well themed (and we were there early enough in the afternoon that we were able to find an area together in the corner inside to relax).  The drink menu was extensive and all the drinks had stories to go with them.  I tried the Fountain of Youth which was very good, but I don't know if it provided me with any youthful powers.  Yet again, maybe it did provide me with just enough youthful powers to make it through the Dopey Challenge.  

Jackie and I met up with our friend Dale for an earlyish dinner at the Rainforest Cafe in Disney Springs where our waiter kept asking for Mr. Dale.  I believe we tried to tell him Mr. Dale must be hanging out with Chip and this was Dale.    

After dinner it was time to head back to the resort to relax and try to sleep.
Step count for Thursday - 25,540 ~ 11.5 miles.  Hmm, I only ran a 5k today.  Maybe I should work on staying off my feet more.  I do still have 3 more days of running ahead.  

No comments:

Post a Comment