Wednesday, January 27, 2016

DOPEY 2016 Part 3 - Fri, Jan 8, 2016 - the Minnie 10k

Friday morning was race #2 - the Minnie 10k also known as the Wet Tea Party.


The weather forecast for the week was constantly changing, but we woke up Friday morning to this lovely radar screen.  I think we're going to get wet.


 The alarm went off way too early.  The race started at 5:30am, the buses started running at 3:30am and we had a group photo scheduled for 4:45am.  So with all those numbers I think I had decided that a 3:00am wake up call would be a good idea.  I was very tired and very out of it this morning.  With this being my 3rd early morning wake up in a row, and the rain I was a Grumpy Cat that morning not, the Chesire Cat.

But I got up and got dressed in my running costume for the day.  Today we were having a Mad Tea Party and I was the Cheshire Cat.  I had my shirt custom made and it says "We are all Mad Here"  I figure that is a very appropriate statement for anyone running the  Dopey Challenge.  I had fun with my tail and hat.



Dressed and ready to go I was off to the Epcot Parking Lot for the 2nd time this week.  The 10k field is smaller than the half or full and they aren't shutting down lots of roads around Walt Disney World for the 10k, so traffic was pretty much non-existent.  I parked and found my way into the runners area to meet up with the Mickey Milers and Team Shenanigans.  

When we were discussing what days we were wearing our Mickey Milers Shirts vs our Team Shenanigans Shirts I'd learned that Susana was going as the Mad Hatter so we had our own little Mad Tea Party them going on.  (With Jennifer photo bombing us in the background).

One thing we learned very early was - it is not a good idea to have things covering your shoes when it is raining.
Donna's feet were soaked from her Mickey Mouse Covers.  They made it to this picture, but not more than a few seconds longer.  I should have probably followed suit and removed the pom poms from my shoes at this time.  


Did I mention I was really tired this morning.  I was kind of walking around the prerace area in a bit of a daze.  The rain did nothing to help wake me up.  Dale and Jackie were making fun of me for my zombie like state.  I was a little worried if I was this tired for the 10k how was I going to do 2 more mornings like this.


I was so out of it, I even managed to miss the prerace group photo.  (I'm pretty sure I decided I needed to visit the porta-potty line and hadn't made it  back yet)

But soon it was time to find our way to the Corrals.  We were in E again to start today.

Once in the corrals the rain really started coming down.  


Corral A started at 5:30 am, we were in Corral E.  I crossed the starting mat at 6:02am.

 I hadn't really made any plans as to what I was going to run today.  Even starting off I wasn't sure what I would do.  Susana and I just decided to run until we got to somewhere to stop for a picture.

So we stopped for a quick photo of Anna and Elsa.  Fortunately Elsa was not turning the rain into snow or ice.  At least it wasn't cold.  



 Unfortunately when the rain picked up the characters also picked up and found a dry spot to be.  
  We got to the first character spot and decided we were the characters.




Later we would learn that this was supposed to be a stop for Flik from Bugs Life


And even more disappointing we didn't get to see Launchpad McQuack and DarkWing Duck either.  :( 


Sooner than we would have expected were entering the backstage area to Epcot again.  Since we weren't using walk breaks and there weren't characters to stop for, we were "flying" (for met at a Disney race that is).  We hit the 5k mat at 38:04 or a 12:16 pace

We are the Incredibles!
Yesterday for the 5k, we entered the World Showcase by the Mexico Pavilion.  Today for the 10k we ran backstage a little longer and entered the World Showcase between Norway and China.  When we turned the corner into the World Showcase we had a water stop and our first character stop with an actual character present all day.  Mushu from Mulan was there.  The line was long, but we didn't really care so we hopped in.  2 people before we got up there Mulan joined Mushu. 



Running through the World Showcase




Next up was France and we got to see Remy and Emile.  I might have been a wet cat, but they definitely felt like they were a couple of drowned rats.   



According to my garmin, both of those character lines took 10 minutes each.  We weren't moving fast anymore.  ;) 

We left Epcot through the International Gateway and headed down to the boardwalk. 

Right outside the ESPN Club were Mike and Sully dressed in their Monsters University Finest.


Just down the street a bit was the best character stop of the race.  The Miler/Shenanigans Cheer Squad with the best handmade salted caramels courtesy of Anita.  




And we had to get a hat selfie with the famous Chicken Hat Cheerer Laura!

We finished running around the boardwalk and as we were headed back into Epcot again, we ran into the Tweedles.  Well what is a Wet Tea Party without a Tweedle Dee and Tweedle Dum.  I was looking for directions to the finish line.  I don't think they sent me on a wild goose chase, but you never know with those 2. 


From here we ran back stage, past another water stop, past the closed Soarin, around by Nemo (mine, mine, mine) though Innoventions around Spaceship Earth (we didn't stop for Phineas and Ferb, we were cold and wet and just wanted to finish at that point) and to the finish line.  

No leaping finish line photos today.  I was more awake now than at the start but I wasn't awake enough to do anything cute at the finish line.  


At the finish line.  Our Speedy start did not end with a speedy finish.  We finished at 1:55:50 or a pace of 18:39.  Yes we stopped in some good lines for the last 2-1/2 miles.  






We had a lot of fun despite the rain.  It felt good to run, just run without walk breaks.  And do not wear pom poms on your shoes if it is raining.  My feet were so heavy by the end of the 10k.  Those pom poms soaked in so much water.  


The 10k course via my Garmin.

And now it was time to book it to the car to get a quick shower and into dry clothes.  I had a group reservation for breakfast at Kona in the Poly and didn't want to be late.

The best laid plans of cats and men . . . I got back to Bonnet Creek and someone was going into the building the same time I was so I didn't have to use my card to get in.  I got up to my room and my room card wouldn't work.  I had demagnetized it with my race dots.  Oops.  Note - do not place a hotel room card in your waist pocket and put race dots over it.  You will be locked out of your hotel room.  I sent a message to the group to check us in when it was time and worked on getting into my room.  

A very quick shower later I was on my way to the Poly.  We pretty much took over half the restaurant.  It was so much fun.  Kona is always a great place for breakfast after the 10k.  And of course we had to celebrate Dave's birthday.  


After breakfast (brunch - it was after 11 when we left I think) I made a quick WalMart run before heading back to the room for a few minutes to drop stuff off.  Then it was back to Epcot again for the Team Shenanigans Meet up outside of Mexico.

There were Margaritas, there were laughs, there were lots of stories to be shared, there were random pictures taken, and of course Shenanigans Galore.  





We took over 2 boats on the Grand Fiesta Ride.  




We may or may not have been a little loud.  But there was no one in the boat in front of or behind us.  
We played the Bongos

Took a Chicken Selfie with Snow White

And found out way to the Boardwalk for dinner.  We ended up at the Big River Grill and Brewing Works.  We didn't have a reservation, but were able to get a table at the bar without any wait at all.  dinner was good.  (It was food and the company was great at least.  I actually don't remember the food, but I knew it would not upset my stomach for the half marathon in the morning)

At this point it is time to head back to the resort.  The family was flying in tonight and I had mentioned meeting them at their resort when the Magical Express got there, but for some reason I thought they were supposed to land when they took off.  They weren't going to make it to All Stars until after 8pm and I was not going to be awake much past that if at all.  

I went back to Bonnet Creek, ironed on my name for my costume for the half marathon, went down to the hot tub for a few minutes and then was off to bed. 


I was exhausted.  And with good reason. According to my Garmin today I did 29,780 steps or 14.32 miles.  So much for taking it easy.  Tomorrow things start to get serious.  It was time for bed.  M-I-C (see you way too soon) - K-E-Y (Why because the alarm is set for 2:45am) M-O-U-S-E.  



No comments:

Post a Comment