Monday, November 25, 2013

11 Very Cold Miles

I was reminded on Saturday morning that I am officially a Houstonian now.  You wouldn't think I'd need this reminder after having lived her for almost 10 years now but apparently every once in a while I still do.  How was I reminded of this you may ask?  I was reminded because I was freezing on my run Saturday morning.  I don't think I would survive up north any more.

I debated all week if I was going to run on Saturday or not.  I wasn't sure if I was up for it yet but Friday morning I emailed my pace group leader and committed myself to the 4 am start time.  Yes I said 4 am on a Saturday morning when I'm not officially training for any race right now. So I awoke at 3 am to get ready for my run.  It was ~ 42 degrees, dark and misty with winds of 15 mph.  I debated long and hard what to wear and figured I'd warm up once we started running so I put on my sparkle skirt and short sleeved shirt.  I put on my new Wine & Dine long sleeve Tech shirt and at the last minute I put on my pants.  I honestly figured I'd leave them in the car.  I completely forgot to grab my hat and my gloves.  The pants did not come off and I could have used another layer or two.

It took me longer than normal to get started on Saturday morning and I ran out of time and didn't get my contacts in.  I hate running in my glasses but running in the cold with my glasses was definitely not fun as they kept fogging up when we would run into the wind.

I wore my old running shoes because the new ones pinched my pinkie toe on my right food on Thursday night and I didn't want to risk in on a long run.

We ran just under 11 miles and kept a nice 13 minute pace for the run.  It felt good to be out there.  My legs weren't fresh but the run was good.  I liked the pace and would be happy with that kind of training pace for our long runs every week.

It took me forever to defrost after the run.  A hot shower didn't even really help.  I have a feeling there will be some grumbling by the family on Thursday for our early morning Turkey Trot if the cold temperatures keep up.  The weather forecast calls for it to be clear but colder than it was Saturday.  Brrrrrr.

I need to try out the new shoes again and see if it was the socks or if it is the shoes.  If its the shoes i need to bring them back to Luke's and try something different.

No comments:

Post a Comment