Friday, November 15, 2013

Recovery Time

After the half marathon Disney Weekend and travel I took a few days off for a little recovery time.  Last night I decided it was time to try a little light running so I threw on my running clothes and took the to the treadmill while I waited for my oldest daughter to take her dance class.  I'm really not a huge fan of running on a treadmill and avoid it when possible but on dance nights it is easier to get a short run in while I wait (if I don't have my 3 year old with me that is) than to wait until later in the evening to do it.  I'd rather go outside and run, but I got in trouble for leaving the YMCA while my daughter was in class a couple months ago, so now I either try to have my husband along or run on the treadmill.  There are a couple of benefits of a run at the YMCA on the treadmill though.  For instance I was able to watch Thursday night football on ESPN while running and since the treadmill is very high tech and has the ability to automatically switch between interval speeds I didn't have to worry about interval timing. 

When I say I can watch TV on the treadmill I should clarify that this isn't a TV up in the air across the room, this is an individually controlled TV in the dashboard of the treadmill (Like I said a very high tech treadmill) so I can actually watch Georgia Tech football on TV in the middle of Texas.  Unfortunately I think the Georgia Tech football team forgot to travel to Death Valley to play last night so it was a frustrating experience. 

I always have a very hard time finding my stride on a treadmill and the perceived effort for the same time and distance is always harder on the treadmill.  I did an easy 2.5 miles in the ~30 minutes I had to run.  The good news is it was pain free unless you count the fact that it was painfully slow.  

I've pretty much decided on my next half marathon. I think I'm going to sign up for the Rhythm & Blues Half Marathon in Houston on February 9th, 2014.  3 months between Half Marathon's sounds pretty good to me.  Maybe I can beat 2:35 in February.  I'll work on a training schedule to get me there in the next week or so.  For now I have a 6 mile run with the Katy Galloway Training Group on Sunday and I'll go from there.

No comments:

Post a Comment